The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has compiled a list of the top 10 achievements in global health over the past 10 years.
The report notes, however, that “major disparities persist” and much remains to be done even in these areas that have shown most improvement.
Go to the link for more statistics, greater detail and the public health agency’s criteria for selection.
- Reductions in child mortality
- Expanded vaccination, protection against infectious diseases
- Access to safe water and sanitation
- Malaria prevention and control
- HIV/AIDS prevention and control
- Tuberculosis control
- Control of neglected tropical diseases
- Tobacco control
- Improved road safety and awareness
- Improved preparedness for pandemic flu, other global health threats